Pages

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

eEtiquette - some words to live by

Here's a nice little site - it has 101 'rules' for the digital world... searchable by topic tags.  Some of these resonate quite well with the experiences I've had with my students, or my own personal issues...  Here are a couple I found particularly relevant:

This is a big one with parent communications - my team has discussed the need to reach for the phone instead of a keyboard when informing a parent about something - parents can't hear the tone in an email, where "we're trying to show him the importance of doing homework" can sound stark and judgmental in an email, while the verbal inflection could be reassuring and supportive...

This one is huge for my 8th graders - often, people post things from a distance that they would never say if face-to-face with their target....

So, how would I use these in the classroom? Here are a couple ideas:
  • If your school has morning meeting time, using one or two as a discussion opener could be very valuable.
  • Have students - alone or in groups - scan the site and find one that they think is important, to share with the class
  • Post key ones near computers in your class room or media center, and rotate them occasionally.








No comments:

Post a Comment